Pages

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Gala 2014

After lamenting yesterday that I'd misplaced my camera, I said as much to my husband who replied "Oh, it's in the back of the car.  Along with some other stuff."


These were what I was looking for.


Pictures from our school's fundraiser a couple of weeks ago.


We rent a venue way in advance; choose a theme; decide on catering; and go to work. 


Work the day of Gala, means hauling in all of the children's individual artwork and displaying it.


Same with the classroom art projects.  


Each classroom designs and creates, over many weeks, several pieces for our Live Auction.  


So many different mediums and techniques are used.


Children from as young as 18 months to as old as 15 years collaborate on all of these pieces.  


In addition to the Live Auction pieces, parents, friends, and local businesses contribute items for our Silent Auction.


This is my third year making items for Silent Auction.


Of course, I wouldn't be true-to-form if I didn't wait until the last minute.


So last minute in fact, I finished them Friday night.  


Actually, the wee small hours of Saturday morning.    


I mean, I knew I was making pillow covers.  The easy envelope kind, because with Kona White as a background, you know they're going to get dirty.  


I knew what fabrics I was using.  


I knew I wanted them colorful, and I also knew I wanted to use a pieces from our theme fabric.


Other than that, I had no idea what I was going to do until very late Friday night. 


My description for the Silent Auction table was something like this:  "Two, 18" Modern Geometric Quilted Pillow Covers with Inserts."


 "A color palette of tangerine, lemon, lime, avocado, and turquoise make you think of sipping cool citrusy drinks, poolside, on a hot afternoon."


These are just a little bit of the sewing I've done this year.  I am very glad my camera's been located and pictures downloaded.

2 comments:

  1. Very cute pillows! And I sure understand about taking on too much and then losing sleep because of thinking of all the things that need doing. I'm vowing not to do that, so I must learn to say "no," once in a while. Why is it that we LOVE all this kind of stuff THAT much?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. I wish you luck on "doing less" and saying "no". Once you have it figured out, please tell me your secrets.

      Delete