Pages

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Modernista Homemade Swap

Earlier this year, several of my quilty friends from ECMQG signed-up for Round 3 of the Modernista Homemade Swap on Flickr.

Modernista
 

Modernista Homemade Round 4 Spicing Up the Bedroom inspiration mosaic by craftnursequilt via Flickr

How could I not fall for a swap when the description is this?  "Do you love modern fabrics, quilting, and fabulous pieces to show off in your space? This modern swap will focus on a room in the home each swap. Modernistas can join at any time for the next round if you don't get in for the current round."  




Well, yes, I like all of the above.  I'd love to join.  Make a mosaic?  Hmmm... So, I missed Round 3, but I saw all of the beautiful creative items Kira, Wendi, and Kim made and received.  Wow!  I was hooked.  



Round 4, Spicing Up the Bedroom sign-ups closed the first part of June. Partner assignments were issued mid-June.  We had to complete our projects - one larger project and one small-ish project - by the 3rd week of July.  Our mail date was July 29th.  We could share progress photos, but we couldn't let our partners know who had whom.





You couldn't ask your partner what they wanted.  You had their preferences from their application - pillow, mini-quilt, bed runner, pouches, storage boxes, etc.  You had their inspiration mosaic - colors, quilting style, etc.  If they'd created any, you had links to their Pinterest boards, Flickr favorites, and personal blog.






I lucked out.  My partner had done this before.  Her application was very detailed.  She had terrific pins, favorites and photostream, and, she even had a blog.  I stalked her.  This was going to be easy.  




Scrappy - check.  Low volume - check.  Color wheel - check.  Shades of gray - check.  Mini quilt - perfect, because I can do a mini quilt easier than I can a large quilt.  A pouch or two - not checked.  Unfortunately, I don't do zippers. Yet.    


Circle of Geese template from piecebynumber.com.  Find it here.

I had so many ideas to work with; there were so many things I wanted to make; I was on overload.  


Paper Pieced Pineapple Pincushion.  Tutorial from Katie's Quilting Corner.

After a few fits and starts, a mess up, and one thing that totally didn't turn out like I'd wanted, I mailed Kelie's package a tad bit late.  Yes, I admit it, I belong to the procrastinators-r-us club.



I believe she was happy with the final result and the extra goodies because... 





she said so.  "Awesome mail day!" she wrote when she posted this picture.



And in the note she quickly sent thanking me, I quote: "I just wanted to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for my wonderful package!  I ABSOLUTELY L-O-V-E EVERYTHING!  SERIOUSLY!!!!  You nailed it!" 


For me, that's what this swap was all about.  It meant getting to know someone through her pictures and descriptions.  It meant creating original handmade items that were "totally" my partner's style.  It meant having fun.

I did all of that.  I am definitely signing-up for the next Modernista Homemade swap, whenever that may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment